Monday, 3 May 2010

Free Ride

I saw something today that really rubbed me the wrong way. While on the public transit, the bus stopped to pick up some passengers and one guy gets on, in his slippers. That aside, he demonstrates other cues to his intellectual challenges. A genuine person, struggling through his day. He asks the bus driver for a favour, "I was wondering if you could spare a free ride to Bonnie Doon so I can get to my Mom's to get some money?"
The bus driver responds that he can't help him and sends the guy back out into the rain, slippers and all. The challenged fellow thanks him and steps back out.

Fair enough. The bus driver is not here on this planet to solve the woes of the world's disadvantaged.

HOWEVER! Two stops down the road Mr. Slick high school dude with a rock star hairdo hops on and whines about not having his new bus pass this month yet but that he's only going to Bonnie Doon Mall anyway. The driver lets him on. FOR FREE! Mr. Slick rock star hairdo dude leans back, oh so cool, pulls out his blackberry without a care in the world and gets his free ride.
Huh?
That ain't right (as my Dad would often say).

Did the driver suddenly feel remorseful for not having let the first guy on so he lets the next guy on? Did he discriminate? Did he know something about each of the guys that I wasn't privy to? Perhaps.
Should I have spoken up about this (possible) injustice? Who knows. Maybe there was something I was unaware of and only would have made a fool of myself. So what. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, would it? Although, had I said something to the bus driver about his seemingly unfair decision to let one guy on the bus for free, who appears not to be disadvantaged, and not the other poor guy ... maybe he'd never give anyone a break again.

This is the everyday of our nonsensical beautiful world.

1 comment:

mama T said...

that's totally messed up... you are right. that ain't right. grrr.