Thursday, 4 March 2010

Observation

One of my things I do is people watch. I can't help it, I do it. People around me are saying things. I hear them. People around me are doing things. I see them.
So there I was sitting with my daughter while she snacked on some mexi fries and an orange julius. We were, apparently, sitting in the "gotta be old, love raunchy coffee & into trading newspapers" section of the food court. I suppose they had finished up their mall walking and were gathering to rest & chat? I dunno yet, not quite that old. Sigh, one day it will be me. Or not!!
Frank says to Betsy, who just arrived to pick up Fred, "Did you hear about John?". Fred says "yeah" with his same silly smile he's had since we saw him back at the Taco Time where we got our mexi fries & he got his coffee.
"One sugah right? Fred I don't want see you back here asking for two sugahs or you wife be mad!", says the Taco Time attendant - har har.
Dramatic Betsy exclaims "What?! What? No, what?!?"
"Well, you may not have known", says 'ol Frank "John he had one of those artificial hearts with a battery in it so it coulda been any time you know!"
"Oh did he?" (Betsy)
Poor Fred had, in the meantime, passed his coffee to Betsy, hoisted himself out of the seat (I don't think he mall-walks actually) and had to hold onto the table during this whole last minute story swap, post "g'bye, see ya later" which was what made Frank get up in the first place.
They carry on chatting, Frank & Betsy, the odd nod along from Fred and an occasional wave to fellow old person A, B, or C o'er yonder.
The entire time my child is munching away, swirling in her seat, offering me manhandled mexi fries, singing a song ... but she hasn't missed a word of Frank's nor Betsy's! She starts sounding off parroted remarks, "Oh I saw his sister" and "Soooo you were on a little holiday!".
M-hm, super. Mexi fries for a snack and a great education in human dynamics.
Brilliantly, Frank suddenly starts talking about how he can't stand people sitting around the table here drinking coffee and complaining when they should be out there enjoying their lives! On & on he went about how "bitchy" people are bla bla bla, every word going into my child's ear.
What's that Frank? You hate complainers?! Looked in a mirror lately Mr. Flappy Gums!?
I kept thinking about how I could not wait to get back outside for that rarity, the Spring SUN! Alas, I had promised my child some fries, we currently housed none so there we were. Elch.
Truth be known, and beware Frank I may get a little complainy here, but I was sick as a sick dog. This flu, although not the worst by number of icky symptoms, has been one awful horrible long lasting symptom, the aches. I have never ever in my life felt such pain during the flu. Ever. And I've had some nasty ones over time.
But I had to get out, my poor little baby had to get out. She needed a treat and some outdoors. Sure that I was no longer contagious but just feeling boo hoo-ish for how long it can take to recover from flu, we splashed and sang ourselves to the mall for fries.
My darling child wanted to tour the mall after she ate. No-nee-no-nee-no! Out. Of. Here! To the warm bright healthy SUN!
It was refreshing. And wet. Hello Spring!
So, yeah, not into people watching today, never want to be stuck in a mall again! And I ask myself once more, 'why don't I live in Vancouver?'! Or at least somewhere where I can be outside for most of my awake life. And somewhere that doesn't have the damn flu!

:-D

2 comments:

Eve said...

Good mom, you are. I bet people watching outside in warm climate would be pretty fulfilling... (but don't leave!)

Anonymous said...

:-) Vancovuer is very, very wet and slushy in the winter... and what would we do without you?! xo Mama T